Wednesday, November 3, 2010

WHAT IS “MY HYPOTHETICAL SEX LIFE"

The year is 2004 and I am in my final year at Ryerson University. A friend of mine, Ben Iscoe, tells me that for our “practicum” (aka. Thesis), he’d like to produce a sitcom. I jump on board. Ben pitches the project and it is approved and he and I along with a hand full of other students make a team and produce the sitcom.

Next to Ben, I would argue to have played the biggest part in the project since I took on the role of Technical Director, Director of Photography and sole editor on the project.

Today I look at that project and see many flaws. Then I remind myself, I was a student, it was produced on a budget of 7k and it was a first stab at something we had no idea how to do. Furthermore, MHSL was purchased by Protocol Entertainment (train 48, Metropia, Puck Hogs) as a potential project to pitch to networks. Nothing ever came of it but what student project ever earns money for the students who make it? MHSL also took home the "Best Video Practicum" TARA award, which is the highest award we could have won that year within Ryerson.

The project is great for what it is, a student project, and is a great platform for me to build on whenever a dramatic/scripted production comes my way.

FYI, this post is for the many who have asked to see it. And here it is.

CREDIT:
Technical Director/Director of Photography/Editor

No comments:

Post a Comment